Victoria’s first ever plan for regional public transport
Regional public transport users are being put front and centre in the Andrews Labor Government’s Plan for better public transport in regional Victoria.
The Regional Network Development Plan will set out priorities for regional public transport services, infrastructure and investment over the next 20-30 years.
There has been a metropolitan rail Network Development Plan in place since 2012 but never one for regional services. Minister for Public Transport, Jacinta Allan, said the lack of a strategy for public transport in the short, medium and long term had held rural and regional Victoria back for too long.
The Regional Network Development Plan will move Victoria away from ad hoc service improvements, towards a more coordinated regional public transport network where train and bus services work together to get people where they need to go.
The plan will also consider infrastructure upgrades, network extension and rolling stock, including next generation high capacity regional trains to cater for peak demand.
A Regional Transport Advisory Group with representatives from all regions will advise the Government during the consultation process and drive engagement with local communities and councils.
The consultation process is a critical part of the development of the Regional Network Development Plan, which will be finalised for consideration as part of the 2016-17 Budget.
Romsey / Lancefield Public Transport Forum
Thank you to the many residents many who attended the Romsey / Lancefield Transport Forum on Monday 7th September at the Romsey Football Netball Club.
Some of the key issues raised in this discussion were:
- the need for more trains to stop at Clarkfield Station – particularly during peak times;
- the need for better connectivity between coaches and trains so that passengers are not required to wait at Clarkefield for an unreasonable time and that coach services are able to flexibly respond to V/Line delays;
- that Clarkefield Station be included on the Express Train route, particularly the services departing from Bendigo at 7.45am and departing from Southern Cross at 17.31pm;
- that the bus timetable be amended to get children to school on time; and
- that Clarkefield Station and carpark be upgraded to reflect its increased and increasing patronage.
See the full report submitted to Regional Network Development Plan here: